The moment you have been given your concealed carry authorisation or a licence to carry a gun around, the first thing that comes to your mind is how will I take my weapon safely? There are gun holsters because they make sure you carry your weapon comfortably. In your training, you should have been trained on the various gun holsters and how to use them to take your guns since each holder has its work. In this article, we will discuss the different types of gun holsters and their benefits and drawbacks.
The categories include;
- Inside-the-waistband (IWB) Holsters
The inside-the-waistband holster has been manufactured to fasten itself to your belt or pants so that you can carry it in your waistband. Your pants and shorts act as covering, and your belt assists. This type of holster works best with tiny guns.
- Very concealable, even in simple apparel.
- Apparel can ride higher and still disguise the handgun.
- It is easy to discard the holster.
- It is pretty uncomfortable for long hours.
- It requires you to put on pants 1-2 inches larger than your standard size.
Outside-the-waistband (OWB) Holsters
The OWB consists of two classifications of holsters called paddle posters and belt holsters. Both of them have been designed to be put on outside the waistband of your pants, usually connected to a belt. In terms of substantial disguising, these forms of holsters are generally the least helpful in terms of obscuring. Though, when you wear a huge coat, it can hide the holster.
- Ankle holster
As the name suggests, an ankle holster is strapped on your ankle. This makes it simple to conceal your weapon, mainly when you are putting on pants that are not too tight. However, the holster can be a bit uncomfortable because of the extent of the gun. You also don’t have easy access to your missile, which is a drawback sometimes for putting on an ankle holster.
- It is easy to hide missiles.
- It is an easy way to carry a backup gun.
- Big guns can be hard to hide.
- Accessing the gun is not that simple.
- Thigh Holster
Thigh holsters are strapped to your thigh, and it is a bit disadvantageous for women who are putting on dresses or skirts. For this holster, the concealment is determined by what you put on. However, the dresses and skirts can also work because you can easily approach the missile. Even if it’s easy to access, it is not advisable to put it on if you want to hide your gun because they have been formulated to be worn over clothes.
- It is excellent for women putting on dresses and skirts.
- You can effortlessly access it.
- Not practical for big guns.
- It is not as strong as other holsters.
As a police officer, you need to know the type of holster that will be effective for you when going to the field. If you are going for war, for example, you need a holster that will carry multiple weapons at once.